South East Asian Art for Beginners
Centre for Continuing & Professional Education
About this course
This course offers a general understanding of how to approach and appreciate art. It aims to introduce prominent artists and artworks from South East Asia to the learner.
It also aims to provide you with skills and confidence to be able to describe an art piece and to derive personal and contextual meaning from the art works presented. In doing so, the course will enable you to understand the concerns and issues surrounding the art works of South East Asian artists.
For most effective learning experience, do the following: Do not attempt to complete the entire course in one sitting, split the learning into 30-minute session daily.
What you will learn
At the end of the course, you will be able to:
- Discuss how traditional and local cultures have influenced the work of SEA artists.
- Express artists’ opinions and ideas behind the meaning of an artwork.
- Discuss how artists respond to and influence contemporary issues of their time.
- Apply appropriate art terms based on the elements of art and principles of design in describing and analysing an artwork.
- Interpret the meaning of an artwork based on one’s ideas and opinion.
- Interpret how the cultural conditions of the artist’s time might have influenced the artist’s intended meaning for the work.